Happy Tuesday, #FitFam! I’ve joined in the link party again with Jess, Jill and all of ya’ll. This week I have something a little special for our topic “Natural Beauty” — my guest, Ella James! Ella is a writer and contributor for Consumer Health Digest, where she specializes in writing articles about Health, Beauty, Pregnancy, and Skin Care Treatments.
We all know (or at least we’ve heard) that beauty is truly skin deep, am I right? As a nutritional therapist, I have learned how nutrition can affect not only our health but also our appearance. Simply being aware of what is lacking in our diets can not only improve our overall health, but also the version of ourselves we present to the world.
When it comes to our #FitFam, it’s safe to say that we all put in the time and effort to live a healthy and active lifestyle, both of which help us to shine from the inside out. Speaking personally, in the past, I have struggled with issues like acne, oily skin, fatigue, dark circles, IBS, and a number of other conditions. However, all of these conditions improved (and some diminished entirely) as soon as I made improvements to my diet and made healthy habits a priority.
Since today’s topic is all about natural beauty, I thought it would be fitting to share one of Ella’s articles for Consumer Health Digest, 15 Foods that Boost Your Body’s Natural Detox Power.
When our bodies are naturally functioning at an optimal level inside, it really shows on the outside. This not only makes us feel our best, but it enables us to look our best too.
So without further delay, please enjoy Ella’s informative article and video, and let’s learn to beautify ourselves from within with natural detox foods.
15 Foods that Boost Your Body’s Natural Detox Power
Overview: Several factors including environmental pollution, food, medications, lifestyle habits and by-products from body functions result in accumulation of toxic substances in the body. Without proper elimination of these toxins, you are at an increased risk of health problems including diseases and conditions. Here are 15 foods to boost your body’s natural detox power:
- Cucumber: It is widely cultivated plant whose vines yields cylindrical fruits commonly used as culinary vegetables. It is rich in B-vitamins, vitamins C, and K. Its antioxidant properties make it effective as a detoxifying ingredient.
- Whole grains: They are rich in fiber essential for cleansing the colon. Their rinds/coatings are rich in minerals that help in detoxification.
- Garlic: It has been used medicinally for centuries. It contains high amounts of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and liver function. Due to its antioxidant properties, it helps flush out toxins from the blood stream. It also has healing properties and fights certain types of cancer and heart disease.
- Broccoli: Recent studies indicate that broccoli contain sulfur, an essential mineral that helps the body get rid of toxins from the body. Also, it lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It has been used in treating high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, and bacteria-related infections.
- Turmeric: It is commonly used to make a curry to give food a bright yellow color. It is obtained from the root of the Curcuma longa plant. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient that has been used in Chinese and Indian systems of medicine. It promotes digestion and addresses conditions like jaundice, menstrual problems, bloody urine, chest pain and colic.
- Red bell pepper: It is loaded with vitamin C, which helps in the breakdown of toxic substances into digestible material. Each red pepper has more vitamin C content than from 3 oranges.
- Sunflower seeds: They are rich in vitamin E and selenium. They increase liver’s ability to eliminate toxins and also prevent cholesterol build up in the circulatory system. Organic forms are the best because they are rich in fat and oil that easily soak up toxic chemicals found in processed foods.
Grapefruit: It reduces cholesterol levels, promote digestion and prevent kidney stones.
- Walnuts: They are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, essential in flushing out toxins from the body.
- Mung beans: Their use for medicinal purposes dates backs thousands of years by Ayurvedic doctors. They are easily digestible and help in the absorption of toxic residue from the digestive tract.
- Watercress: They have antioxidant properties that fight free radicals from the cells and boosts cleansing enzymes in the liver. They are also a natural diuretic
Artichokes: they are rich in a compound called cynarin, which promote natural production of bile juice essential for improved digestion.
- Citrus Fruits: They are rich in vitamin C, which plays a significant role in the fight against free radicals in the body.
- Turnip Greens: They are rich in antioxidants and sulfur, which helps fight environmental toxins and heavy metals from the body. They also contain phytonutrients that activate and regulate actions of detoxifying enzymes.
- Lentils: They have high fiber content that helps in elimination of toxins, lowers cholesterol and regulate blood sugar.
Conclusion: Toxins from the environment, food, drugs and other sources can accumulate in the body and make you prone to illnesses. These 15 foods can naturally improve your body’s ability to eliminate toxic substances that can harm your health. Detox your body occasionally using these natural foods to stay healthy.
A very special thanks, again, to Ella for sharing her informative article with all of you!
Ella James is an aspiring author who is pursuing Health Services Administration degree from St. Petersburg College. She is an active contributor to Consumer Health Digest, which is a leading Health News Website. Her interests include reading and writing about Pregnancy, Parenting, Health, Fitness, Beauty and Skin Care.
Connect with Ella!